Thursday, March 20, 2014

You'll want to read about Karen Deming-WA Children's Author and Book Illustrator

Dear Friends,

Today I'm happy to welcome Mrs. Karen Deming to my blog. Karen is an extremely talented person. I don't believe there is a lazy bone in her body. I don't see how there could be since she is such a busy person.

Karen and I first met about two years ago via FB when she illustrated a children's book for me. The title is Has a Donkey Ever Brought You Breakfast in Bed?. She did an excellent job and it's now my biggest seller in the children's area. Karen has gone on to illustrate two more books for me since then. They are The Swizzledorfers Visit the Big Top and Show and Smell, all rhyming picture books that are highly visual. While I know Karen mostly as an illustrator, I wanted to turn your attention to her writing today.

It's time to move on and learn more about Karen. Grab a glass of sweet tea or a cup of coffee and enjoy yourself.

PB: Karen, what first triggered your interest  in writing?

KD: I was always interested in story-telling.  As a small child, before even kindergarten, I would staple paper together and draw pictures to create a simple storyboard.  My parents and grandparents always gave me praise over my drawings and short stories which fueled my desire to write and illustrate.

PB: How old were you at the time?

KD: I’m not sure my exact age when I first created a picture story – but it was before school years, so perhaps six or even younger.  I’ve been drawing as far back as I can remember.

PB: In what genre do you write?

KD: I write mostly for children, but I do have a novel that I’ve been working on.  I started it when I was seventeen and have recently decided to revisit it.  The novel is historical fiction.  So far, everything I write has had a positive Christian message, which is important to me.

PB: What is the first thing that you wrote?

KD: My first true writing experience was in a creative writing class while I was in high school.  My first published work is a personalized children’s book titled: “Do you know…God made you?”

PB: Karen, how many hours per week do you devote to your craft?

KD: Currently I am dedicating most of my time to illustrating for other authors.  But I jot down ideas when they come to me for my own later writing ventures.

PB: What are your greatest aspirations as a writer?

KD: My children’s books are part of a world-wide book ministry that my husband and I founded.  Today my first children’s book has been enjoyed by children in Africa and Asia through outreach ministries.  The costs of the book ministry is fueled by the sales of my hardcover children’s book.  I hope that this ministry grows to include many more nations.  I do dream that someday, my novel and my other fictional works will be published and perhaps will someday be performed on the “big screen" or stage.

PB: What person has influenced you the most with your writing?

KD: I have enjoyed the works of William Shakespeare and it was a speech in the play, “Hamlet” which inspired the start of my first novel.  I am a visual person, and I am most inspired by artwork sometimes rather than other books or novels.  My three children, however; are my greatest inspirations for my children’s book ideas. 

PB: What one person has been your biggest encouragement as you pursue your goals?

KD: When I was a child, my parents and grandparents were my biggest cheerleaders.  Today, my greatest support comes from my husband and children.

PB: What motivates you to keep writing? 

KD: I am motivated by others who have seen or read my work and enjoy it.  Seeing the joy my work gives to others inspires me to keep pursuing writing and illustrating as a career.
   
PB: When you aren’t writing, what do you like to do?

KD: When I’m not writing, I enjoy reading to my children, or catching a movie.       

PB: Do you do public appearances?

 KD: Yes. I enjoy speaking publicly.  I love to share stories, real stories, funny stories, and testimonies with children and adults.

PB: If so, are you available to travel for events/engagements?

KD:  I am able to travel within the state of Washington at this time.

PB: Do you have a website for my readers to check out?

 KD:  www.karendeming.com

PB:What is one thing that makes you totally unique?

KD: We all have our quirks. I have always made up stories while riding in a car or driving – usually while listening to classical music. 

PB: What can you share about yourself that might surprise my readers?

KD: In the spring and summer, you can find me on a tractor plowing the field for our yearly corn maze and pumpkin patch.

Karen, thank you for spending time with me today. I'm sure my readers have learned many things about you they may not have known before. Keep writing and illustrating. You are blessing so many with your God-given talents.

Below you will find Karen's bio. I hope you'll read it and get to know this mother, wife, author and illustrator even better.

Karen Deming is an author and illustrator of children’s books.  She is the mother of three busy children and the owner of chickens, rabbits, dogs, and even homing pigeons.  When she isn’t writing or drawing pictures, you can find her fixing fences, plowing the field, or planning her farm’s yearly corn maze adventure.  Karen loves to watch ideas and dreams come to life.  It’s this reason why Karen farms, writes, illustrates, and dreams up new and imaginative worlds for others to enjoy and explore.

Until next time,

Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment